Separating fact from fiction
Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) are mainly used in chemical peels. AHAs are not harsh chemicals but water-soluble and derived from certain fruit sugars. Remember, the skin’s natural happy space is a pH of 4-5, meaning it naturally prefers an acidic level. Many AHAs are known to be gentle enough for even sensitive skin.
When done correctly, a chemical peel removes dead skin cells in a controlled manner without damaging the skin. Rather the condition of your skin is improved at a cellular level. The new layer of skin is naturally sensitive after treatment and redness may occur temporarily, but this is generally not due to skin being ‘burned’.
Botulinum toxin is not a poison, but a manufactured variant of a substance formed by Clostridium Botulinum which binds the nerve endplate to muscles to temporarily prevent them from contracting. Although it is not considered a poison, as with all substances an over-dosage carries risk factors.
To further explain, Dr. Francois quotes German-Swiss physician and alchemist, Paraclesus. “All substances are poisons; there is none that is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison from a remedy.” Thus drinking too much water can be considered poisonous, while drinking the right amount holds health benefits. The same is true for Botulinum toxin, which is why safe and responsible use is key.